Home Remedies To Cure Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Carpal tunnel syndrome ( CTS ) is a type of condition which affects the arms and hands which causes numbness and tingling sensations at start.
In the advanced stages where it progresses, it leads towards the weakness and severe pain in hands and also it causes damage on nerves. CTS take place in both the hands and is also common in women instead of men.
Most of the cases of CTS are still not known and it usually occurs because of the pressure which is excessive on the nerve median which travels from the wrist at carpal tunnel.
There are few factors which contribute in CTS like anatomy of the wrist, nutritional deficiencies, workplace factors, injury and repetitive use of the wrist. There are few conditions of medical which enhances the risk of person.
Some of the conditions of medical include rheumatoid arthritis, autoimmune disease, menopause, kidney failure, pregnancy, obesity and high blood pressure, fluid retention, thyroid dysfunction and diabetes.
There are advance stages of the condition which requires attention medically. There are home remedies which minimize the symptoms and restores the hand and wrist function in few cases of CTS.
Some of the top home remedies for carpal tunnel syndrome include
For a quick and temporary relief from numbness and inflammation occur because of this CTS, cold compresses can be used for it. This cold temperature is helpful in relieving the pain with the numbness in the areas which are affected. It also causes inflammation and swelling.
1. Take some cubes in a sealable and plastic bag.
2. Roll this towel and apply this on the areas which are affected.
3. Keep it aside for few minutes.
4. Repeat it after every hour as you are required.
Point To Be Noted
Ice should not be applied directly on skin.
To massage your wrist and hands, it is important to ease some of the CTS symptoms. It helps in activating the points of pressure on hands and it also increases the supply of blood, minimizes pain, improves mobility and relaxes the stiff muscles.
1. Take olive oil and coconut oil on your wrists and hands.
2. Then massage your wrists, fingers, arms and hands with the strokes for at least 15 minutes.
3. Repeat this procedure for about 3 times to improve your condition.
Massage can also be taken from the therapist as well.
Point To Be Noted
Joints feel painful and tender so they should not be massaged.
Epsom salt is an anti – inflammatory and natural relaxant muscle because of the content of magnesium. It relaxes the muscles which are tightened in wrists and hands.
1. Take Epsom salt in a tub along with the lukewarm water.
2. Put your wrists and hands in this for at least 20 minutes.
3. Repeat this remedy for at least 3 times in a week to get relief from stiffness and pain.
This castor oil is an effective remedy for the CTS treatment. It helps in the reduction of suppress pain, inflammation and also it restores the functions normally in wrists.
1. Take castor oil and apply it on the fingers and hands.
2. Massage your back, fingers, thumb and wrists with your hands for at least 15 minutes.
3. Roll your hands and then leave it for about an hour.
4. Repeat this at least two times in a week to improve it
Acupressure & Acupuncture
This acupuncture and acupressure therapy is helpful in the treatment of carpal tunnel syndrome naturally. It restores the nerve function normal and then provides it with relief in pain.
To avoid an early surgery, it proves to be an effective option. According to the study of 2012 which was published in “Journal of Research in Medical Sciences” states that
“Acupuncture therapy is quite helpful in the CTS reduction symptoms”
There are so many specific points for acu on the elbows and wrist which also gives an example of pericardium 6 and also the PC 6. It presses it firmly with the forefinger and thumb to endorse the flow of energy and also it helps in restoring the motion range. Acupuncturist should be consulted to get the treatment properly.
It helps in rotation, stretching and flexing of arms, wrists and hands for many times in a day while you suffer from this CTS. It enhances the circulation of blood and it also helps in easing the symptoms.
With the stretching exercises, these are easy to be done and can be performed while sitting at a desk and also by waiting in the line for few minutes which can be spared.
1. Shake and release hand from the out of fingers. Repeat this procedure for about 10 times.
2. Place your hands in the position of praying and then spread them. Keep the touching of finger tips and also hold your opposite hand and then close your palms.
3. Repeat this for about 10 minutes.
4. Shake your hands and let them get dry for at least 5 minutes in one time.
Consult your doctor about the condition of stretching exercise and the movements which enhances your circulation and also the mobility in hands and wrists.
Blackstrap molasses is a source which helps in the aid of relaxing muscle. It contains nutrients like potassium, calcium, vitamin B and iron. It maintains the flow of blood in the whole body and it also includes the hands.
- Take few tbsp. of blackstrap molasses in a cup of milk.
Drink this for at least about two times till the time you notice about the improvement in this condition.
Flaxseed oil is called as linseed oil which also helps in the alleviation of pain and also it swells in CTS because of the anti – oxidative, anti – inflammatory and analgesic effect. It contains a heavy amount of omega – 3 fatty acids because it minimizes inflammation.
According to the study of which was published in “DARU Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences” states that
“Linseed oil is good for the moderate and mild management of CTS. It also improves the functional status and symptoms in severity”
Take at least 3 to 4 tbsp. of flaxseed oil on daily basis and also add some smoothie, juice or milk.
Apple cider vinegar is an effective remedy which is helpful in the reduction of pain and inflammation with the symptoms that are common in CTS.
After that, it also contains minerals like phosphorous, potassium, calcium and magnesium which are very much good for the strong bones and muscles.
1. Take apple cider vinegar and mix it with honey in a glass of water. Take this drink for about two times in a day.
2. Mix the ingredients in raw form with olive oil and apple cider vinegar and use it to massage your areas which are affected for at least 3 times in a day to improve your condition.
3. Vitamin B6
According to the study of 2007 which was published in “Canadian Family Physician” states that
“With the usage of vitamin B6 and the treatments are somehow complimentary which can postpone the surgery of hand in the CTS sufferings”
This vitamin B6 plays an important role in the synthesis of neurotransmitter and also it boosts up the metabolism of amino acid. It is important to add the foods in your diet which contain vitamin B6.
1. There are few foods which have vitamin B6 in excess which include brown rice, wheat germ, oatmeal, raw garlic, hazelnuts, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, tuna, salmon, pistachios and bran.
2. Supplements of vitamin B6 can also be taken for about 50 to 100 mg for two times in a day after you consult your doctor.
1. Take the foods which are antioxidants rick like bell peppers, squash, tomatoes, cherries and blueberries.
2. Take turmeric whether it is in supplement form or any other. Take this in your diet on daily basis.
3. Take the oils like olive oil for frying or baking.
4. Do not take red meat in your diet but take cold water fish and lean meats instead.
5. Do wear a splint of wrist at the time of night but keep it in mind to not to make it tight.
6. While using a mouse or typing an extended period of time, s use a wrist pad also.
7. Keep the arms in elevated posture and then sleep and also avoid your hands to be used while you are sleeping.
8. Do not smoke too much because it blocks your blood vessels and makes your condition worse.
9. Get a break from your work which in addition has repetitive movements of hand and strenuous movements like clicking a mouse.
10. Do not include the activities which cause pain and numbness.
11. Keep doing the yoga exercises which are designed to strengthen and stretch all the joints of the body.
12. Improve your condition by minimizing the risk of CTS.
13. Keep your hands in the gloves and it is important mostly while in winter days.